1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Ads on imagevenue?

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by TKA1, May 4, 2008.

1. alexle85

alexle85

add: "127.0.0.1 ads.adbrite.com" (without the "") to your \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file :)

2. rapids_x

rapids_x firebrigade

"127.0.0.1 spam@phun" :eek:

3. sirmartinfrobisher

sirmartinfrobisher

Every time that Ad pops up on Imagevenue it crashes my firefox, which I installed new, on a new laptop, ten days ago.
    It pisses me off.

4. TKA1

TKA1 has erectile dysphunction

i just got another "skip this ad"... and this time the button didn't pop up for at least 5 seconds so that i was forced to wait to click the skip button, as if it wasn't bad enough! this is so wrong.

5. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

okay. i don´t think imagevenue or any other site that uses this "skip..."-crap intends to spreadmalware/trojans, but...

check the root of your system-drive every now and then. especially for new, .exe-files which are typically 25-30KB of size. got three files - there have to be quite a few exploits of these "skip"-ads.

each of these files are harmful - and they obviously alter names.

adblock (in advance) and http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/ may be handy on occasion.

6. rapids_x

rapids_x firebrigade

Why not take this easy action for internet explorer,
    to leave this add (including malware,spyware,...) DEAD so it cannot run (or whatever you like to call that).

Tell or ask for a step by step tutorial when this on the link is hard to understand. :D Because its time to kill the fuckers. ;)

7. TKA1

TKA1 has erectile dysphunction

i appreciate the help, rapids, but there's NO reason why i should have to install defenses on my computer/browser just so i can surf pics on phun. that's such a ridiculous concept!

8. rapids_x

rapids_x firebrigade

Can we ad imagevenue to the banned pichost list, mods? Its just one to take off. For our and everyones safety. Nothing to loose without it!

Thanks

9. rapids_x

rapids_x firebrigade

10. sirmartinfrobisher

sirmartinfrobisher

I amended my hosts file as suggested a few pages back, I've had no problem since.

11. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

if we all start to stick with the general-forum and the vids-forums... probably.

as much as i dislike certain advertising-campaigns - right now i guess we can´t do without imagevenue.

adblock plus works pretty well for me (and it´s not only imagevenue that uses this "skip adbrite".

rapids_x likes this.
  12. Taipan

Taipan Mia San Mia Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Phun Award Holder

At the moment there are no quality alternatives to imagevenue.

It's the only stable host out there for years.

Just take a look at imageshadow.......

rapids_x likes this.
  13. Peet1000

Peet1000 The Headbangin' Uploader

Wow, I almost got mutilated when I raised this issue a couple of months ago, i.e. Imagevenue not being as good as it was cut out to be.

I do, however, still believe Imagevenue is a reliable host, and I post all my back-up screens there (On other forums I post full size images plus back-up thumbnails from Imagevenue, and when posting here, I delete the full size images and post only the thumbs. Personally, I prefer the full size images, as you do not need to leave the post/page you are viewing, and thus there are NO adds. Unfortunately, the mods here disagree vastly.).

I do think, though, that this is something we have to get used to. Hardly any hosts are void of adds nowadays, but yes the one at Imagevenue is annoying as hell. In another thread it said that Imagesocket, too, was getting worse.

Luckily for me, phun.org is the only forum I post at that doesn't allow a host that has the option of full size imaging. Thus, for me personally, i.e. for my posts, it's really only a problem here at phun.org.

Crusader likes this.
  14. Crusader

Crusader

Accidentally hit the thanks button, so don't get excited about that.

Posting full size images is bullshit and the most stupid thing on the Net. Not everyone has a techno-savvy computer.

15. sirmartinfrobisher

sirmartinfrobisher

I tend to agree with you. When I had a laptop with 512MB of RAM running XP, I would dread hitting a blogster with a page full of say, 64 full size images, it just killed my machine and I wished, wished, wished, that the blogger would switch to thumbs. There's also still a lot of people out there on dial-up, they could always go away for a fortnight's holiday while a full page of 1 or 2MB pics downloads.
    jr

16. Kieks

Kieks Getting away with it, all messed up. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Original Phun Crew

Threads like the gay one, motivational, spam random pics etc are best to have full sized and people know so if they're on slow speed, to avoid it. The impact is better when you can read what's on the pic, such as the motivational ones. But if it was a celeb or model thread with 20 full sized pics in one post, we'd ask the user to use thumbs in the future.

rapids_x and sirmartinfrobisher like this.