1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Firefox + phun = dead internet connection

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by ratfink, Oct 21, 2011.

1. ratfink

ratfink

I've been experiencing a really strange issue with Firefox and phun. As I click through the pages of a thread that are heavy on thumbnails, i.e. a thread in the amateur section, I can sometimes only make it through 5 or 6 pages before I just get the gray spinning load circle and "connecting" at the top of the tab. Firefox isn't frozen, per se (I can still open new tabs, use menus, etc.), but nothing will load. At this point, my connection is completely dead and nothing loads in IE or Chrome either. I have to pull up the task manager and kill Firefox (which generally shows anywhere from 90mb to 160mb in memory usage, and no cpu activity at all), then wait 2-5 minutes for Firefox to actually terminate. When it does, I'm magically back online. wtf

I've tried clearing cache, cookies, and all that. I've also tried disabling all add-ons to no avail. This does not happen with any other site + Firefox, and I can't replicate it in any other browser. I'm completely lost on this one. This has also been happening for about 6 months, so it started many Firefox versions ago and prior to the phun format changeover. The only thing I can think of, but can't prove, is that Firefox is taking a shit over thumbnail code served up one or all of the approved image hosts.

Currently running Firefox 7.0.1 on a fairly beefy computer, so I really can't imagine this is a resource issue. Win 7 x64, i7, 12GB RAM, etc. etc.

2. ratfink

ratfink

Tried to edit my post, but that's working either apparently, so sorry for the double post. :p

Forgot to mention that the dead connection is far more likely t happen if I don't let a page load all the way before clicking to the next one... I'm on a 50mbps line, but the pages take their time loading anyway, and I get antsy. ;)

3. JDoeson69

JDoeson69 Phun's Faux-Canadian Ten Years of Phun

This is indeed a weird issue. Do you have another computer you can test? Load FF and phun and try to duplicate it on the other rig?

BTW, 12 gigs of RAM...? Overkill, much? I'm running 8 and that's more than enough for Crysis at max settings! :p

Classyvixenart and ratfink like this.
  4. ratfink

ratfink

Yeah, trying it on a different rig is a great idea, no doubt, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it would work just fine. If Firefox and phun was a no-go for everyone, certainly a stink would've been raised long ago. I'll try it, though.

lol, as far as the RAM goes, I do a lot of video editing and effects work, so you can watch 12GB disappear at the snap of a finger. After Effects is especially memory hungry when working with 2k footage or above. With the price of RAM being what it is these days, I'd consider adding more. ;)

JDoeson69 likes this.
  5. Classyvixenart

Classyvixenart Punkdubious

hELL YEAH.. .... WE WOULD make Occupy Wall Street look like a bunch of protesting Grade schoolgirls.

lol - oh wait.
    :D

J3scribe and JDoeson69 like this.
  6. JDoeson69

JDoeson69 Phun's Faux-Canadian Ten Years of Phun

Attention Classyvixenart:

This is a troll-free board. Kindly GTFO or we will be forced to take action.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

Sincerely,
    JDoeson69, Forum Mod Impostor

Classyvixenart likes this.
  7. Classyvixenart

Hush up

before I smack you in the forum with your own PENIS

Ramsfan and yayboobies like this.
  8. Classyvixenart

if by taking action ..you mean pulling my hair, spanking me, and choking me out..well then, we have a deal

9. Classyvixenart

ohmyGAWD I am a dipshit

*forehead....gaddamnit FOREFuckingHEAD

10. ratfink

ratfink

lol... wtf just happened to this thread? :D

11. Classyvixenart

I came on it *evilgrin*

HeavyToka likes this.
  12. TheOne

TheOne The President ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

just for the sake of trying, have you tried to unistall FF, and then install it back again?

ratfink likes this.
  13. ratfink

ratfink

Thanks, TheOne. Sometimes when you're too involved in a problem it's easy to forget the obvious stuff you're meant to try first, right? I'm now running with a clean install of Firefox and so far so good. Phun is still far more sluggish than any other site I visit, but that's a different issue, I would guess, and I haven't had a killed connection. Here's hoping it's fixed, but I'll have to do more, um, testing over in the amateur section, just to be sure. ;) :fingersx: Thanks again!

14. Cold As Ice

Cold As Ice Master of Solid Water Ten Years of Phun

:hijacked:

15. ratfink

ratfink

*sigh* All appeared back to normal, but 15 pages into a thumbnail-heavy thread, Firefox did the dirty and killed my connection again today. This is authentic bullshit.

16. TheOne

TheOne The President ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

Then I have no clue

17. ratfink

ratfink

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but I finally figured out what was going on. It got much, much worse, and to the point where I either solved the problem or reinstalled Win 7. Well, it was ZoneAlarm. What a worthless piece of shit that software is. As soon as I moved away from ZA, everything returned to normal. What kind of protection is it that inexplicably kills your internet connection, system-wide, for however long it feels like? What BS!

:soapbox:

*steps down from soapbox mumbling*