1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

For people who want to see colors correctly

Discussion in 'Creative Backyard' started by Cy, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Cy

Cy X-No-Archive ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

Ok, some of you know i've had a bitch of a time lately with art pieces looking one way on my system and another way here on phun.

I use Firefox as my browser and it turns out that since Firefox 3.5, it's actually a browser problem! That's right boys and girls, the most popular browser in use today is broken, colorwise.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=463221

BUT

There are a few things you can do to help yourselves if you want to.

THIS is a helper addon for firefox to set up color profiles in your browser if you need a gui.

THIS is a page that will help you set up your browser to work correctly with what your system already sees.

HERE is a site that will help you test what you've set up

THIS is a page that will help you set up your operating system to begin with

I recently spent $380 on a hardware calibration tool and spent a lot of time and effort setting it all up. To mostly no avail. Things on my system look great, just as i intend them to, then i upload them to phun or wherever, and bingo! they look like crap. Well, it (finally) occurred to me that maybe it wasnt me that was fucked up. So I spent a couple hours this morning and researched these links up and applied their settings so Firefox uses my system default profile "AppleRGB.icc", which I chose because we need a common profile and we have quite a few artists on Macs. Besides AppleRGB isnt really a special apple profile at all. It's simply sRGB (standard RGB) renamed. It's also freely available WIN MAC (If you use Linux it's suggested to use the WIN).

So, I set up all of the system + Firefox according to the links in this HelpMe, and recalibrated my system using the hardware tool to set my white/black points and now I see pics just the same in Firefox as i do in Gimp or just browsing on system.

For all you serious photgraphers, please be aware that NO BROWSER currently uses icc v4 profiles. Set your cameras accordingly.
    Firefox and Safari only support v.2, IE and Opera dont even know icc profiles exist and apparently, Chrome tries to use v.4, fails 99% of the time, defaults to v.2 then goes ahead and ignores icc altogether.
    (Seems like 1995 again doesnt it?)

Give it a shot, whether your on Winblows, Crapple, or Geeknix you're still being screwed by only partially developed and set up web browsing.

Since phun is primarily a picture and video forum, I thought you might like to see what images are supposed to look like here.

Good Luck, all the info you need is in the links, you might have to read a little bit, but you can do it.

A.tab, haydaddict, irish-sid and 3 others like this.
  2. Cy

What do you use? Chrome?

Chrome has exactly the same issue with icc profiles that firefox does, and Opera 10 doesnt support color management at all
    http://avencius.nl/content/opera-10-released
    relevant:

"Lacking
    However not all is well, several features are still lacking. While Firefox 3.5 supports ICC profile 2, and Safari 4 supports ICC profile 4, Opera 10 still lacks any color management."

irish-sid likes this.
  3. Jammsbro

Jammsbro ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

Thanks man.

I actually use a program to change the colour output of my monitor (f.lux). It alters the light to match the light outside. Really good for long term pc work.

baldymofo and Cy like this.
  4. Cy

Dont forget, we're talking about the browser primarily. Lots of people use decent/good calibration utilities for their systems, this particular problem is that today's browsers dont use those nice profiles our systems do. SInce I use firefox, it got the most attention. I find it rather odd that the browser installers dont do a system call to pull the systems configured default color management profile. It's there as an available setting, but isnt configured at all. For instance, in firefox the setup to find your icc is just blank. Same in Chrome. It's as simple to configure it as giving the complete path to your ***.icc file. That's it. Why it's left blank is rather odd, but that's life. :shrug: