1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Input on the whole new "gore" problem...

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by cayne, Mar 26, 2009.

?

Keep disgusting material...

1. ...in one specific thread.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ...in one hidden, protected sub-forum.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ...completely out of phun.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brothergrims

brothergrims gone

well said but its a judgment thing, and that's were you come in, your judgment to say, "well that just doesn't seem to work here." and you piss off one member to save the fight from many - your the bouncer.

Judgment, you've modded this place for years now, so you know whats going to start a fight and whats acceptable. Its your judgment that got you that position. Its your judgment that we rely on to keep this place enjoyable. while bouncing a bar, some things go unchecked, some things are just simple arguemnt between patron's, but some things need dealing with right away, it was my judgment that i used ti decide what was what, and when i made a mistake i had to stop the fight and remove the offenders.

so no Azz there is no clear cut line on acceptability, just what you find acceptable. If your judgment is correct, then everyone is happy, you guess wrong and its lipstick and handbags at ten paces,

so then its just a judgment call then.
    hey, no fence in my crotch here.
    yeah!

S-type likes this.
  2. bamafan

bamafan Staring at (.)Y(.) ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I don't feel as strong about the issue as you do Azz. I don't go in the creep show nor the sick jokes thread because there's things in there that would offend me personally. But IMO to answer your question those antics would be needed to keep from people posting shit like what was posted earlier this a.m. Had someone not pm'd me about that I would've never seem them.

3. wtfazzhole

wtfazzhole Munchin on Pussy ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew

lol

well grim i have no clue which side of the fence you are sitting on with that one. But let me just state one thing.

I have always enjoyed Inuk's hunting threads and how he showcases his lifestyle to us here on the board. I view it as a way to educate us on how inuit people live off the land. So when Inuk made this comment:
    Jamm's reaction is:
    To which Inuk had the opportunity to explain to him what harvesting a polar bear means to his people:
    So if somebody who is completely ignorant to why Inuk hunts he now has the opportunity to share with others who are completely clueless about why he does so. Now topics dealing with gore and offensive material would be censored because some people rather stay ignorant of the facts.

Gore does not have to be something that enrages, it could be used for other purposes. lets just not be so near sighted and only think of the worst case scenerio.

4. Cowardly Douche

Cowardly Douche Hotbabeologist, Ph.D

no, you're supposed to use common sense and know that alot, if not a majority of people in society today don't care to have pics of bloody animals shoved in their face.

if you posted pics of skinned animals from your last hunting trip in the chat thread, i don't think that's right. but if you created a seperate thread and titled it "pics of skinned animals from my last hunting trip" i wouldn't see a problem. i personally wouldn't look at it, but it wouldn't bother me because i know it's not there for the sole purpose of creating controversy. maybe you want to share skinning techniques with other hunters. cool, not a problem with me.

but a thread titled "pics of murder victims", ya that would bother me. unless you can convince me that it would serve any purpose other than to shock and offend, i'd say it shouldn't be allowed. don't try to tell me you think that's where all the degreed forensic pathologist phun members will hang out to discuss their techniques ;)

5. wtfazzhole

no, but where do we draw the line, you said it yourself you don't see issues with hunting pics but I have been told by another mod here that it is distasteful. So should I use you as the arbitor of allowed posted content or my collegue?

6. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

It was Tai - but I miss read the original question and didnt want to be seen to be going off subject - if that makes sense, there was no other reason.

7. bamafan

bamafan Staring at (.)Y(.) ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

That was my earlier point, you can't draw a line. But if you try to like bg said earlier it would have to be at the mods discression. If you go forward with the added section for this type of stuff you should dedicate one mod to look over it. That way you don't have to worry about agreeing with another mod to allow or not.

8. Cowardly Douche

some will find certain things distasteful, that's just a fact. and you're never going to get everyone to agree on what is and isn't.

but where to draw the line should be focused around intent. are you going out of your way to intentionally offend other people if you talk about hunting? i don't think so. they can walk out of the chat discussion if the topic isn't to their liking.

is someone going out of their way to intentionally offend somone by posting murder pics or jumping up and down yelling hooray when someone dies of cancer. i think they are. what other purpose is served?

it's up to you as moderator to make that dermination of intent, just like you do every time you analyze a comment to determine if it consitutes a flame.

9. wtfazzhole

*raises hand to volunteer*

brothergrims likes this.
  10. toolz

toolz Hater ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good fucking grief!!!!

I had azz delete the old creepshow thread.

I never started that thread with the intention of posting gore. There is a difference between scary/creepy and graphic gore. There was never a problem with the Creepshow thread until ONE particular member started abusing it. Creepshow was a fun thread before that....and a long existing thread too.

I started a new one. I think people will be able to draw the line now.;)

http://forum.phun.org/showthread.php?t=358381

Inuk and Innu3ndo like this.
  11. brothergrims

brothergrims gone

i know azz, its a tight rope to walk for you, and that's my point.
    There is not side until there is a fence at all. Or in other words, there has to be a post that is an issue, now what you quoted appears in this context to be a conversation not an argument. Thats a good call on your part to leave it, if Jammsbro is offended at it and the title says "animals i shot dead and are now cut into pieces" then hes aware its hunting photos, hes in there to debate hunting.
    however,
    if the first response poster says, "Why the fuck is this here?" and then three more say the same thing in some form or another the judgment is..........

Its your judgment and you decide if it has merit, and inevitably, clean up the mess if there is a fight when its over. worst yet, there were patron's here that got snagged up or witnessed that fight that arn't coming back. so now its lost business. and that's an unavoidable result in a mistake in judgment.

Because it appears this is not such a fictional result anymore. Members are not happy, and if they are not happy they don't come back. I learned long ago, in my bouncing technique, I'm creating the product (atmosphere), weather or not I liked the product was 100% irrelevant to the issue if nobody else wants the atmosphere ive created. and it seemed they all just wanted to have phun.

so to clarify, my point is that my opinion on this is stated way earlier, and is moot. your the bouncer.

sorry on the book man. and thanks for reading the stuff i wrote.

12. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

The way Im reading this is that hardly anyone actually wants to see this stuff on phun but would tolerate it in the interest of free speech.

If such material was posted here would it attract more visitors and if so would you want them? I think the opposite would be the case, tits, celebs and chat is what phun is all about. No need for the nasty stuff.

We arent a political movement, if it is at the expense of freedom of speech so be it, keep the crap out.

We should also be conscious of the US - Rest of world situation. For Europeans freedom of speech aint all that - if it is bad or nasty get it out. THIS IS A WORLD WIDE BOARD.

But once again this seems to be, and please dont take this loaded, but azz's opinion versus many others. And Azz, I dont mean that bad dude - but you argue vigorously.

13. toolz

toolz Hater ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ummmmm:confused:......dont be so presumptuous and assume that everyone has the same opinion you do.

14. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

How so ? Im only expressing my view - Im not having a go at anyone. I am only pointing out that their are culture differences. That is all Toolz, so please dont try and imply otherwise (or I'll creat a new sig thread!) ;)

15. toolz

toolz Hater ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Are you trying to provoke me?

I never said you were having a go. And I didnt imply anything. I simply stated a fact.

16. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

Let's not hi-jack and keep the thread on subject. My single point is that azz is one of the strongest defenders of free speech, and many agree with him btw. It really is a simple as that ( hence the cultural reference), I ain't interested in a cyber fight toolz, but thanks for the offer.

17. S-type

S-type Cogito, ergo sum Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member

Why has everybody started talking about hunting, when today's furore has been (I understood) initiated by the posting of explicit pictures of fresh and decaying human corpses - the result of shootings, accidents, car crashes, and whatever! The memory of other recent images in which violence against people was presented "for amusement" seems also to be fresh in the minds of some!

The connection with professional hunting of food animals is tenuous at best, and in my view it is a completely separate issue, so let's be sure what we're about!

PS My thanks go to toolz for his mature decision!

toolz likes this.
  18. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

good point.

either "allow" it or don´t "allow" it. i am for don´t allow it.

S-type: i told Azz that pics of shredded squirrels for fun are tasteless, for me. as usual he assumes that i think hunting at all is tasteless and that i equate inuit-hunting-traditions with african trophy-hunting safaris.

Jammsbro likes this.
  19. toolz

toolz Hater ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok...... you didnt want to start a fight? LMAO. :lol:

gaphugs likes this.
  20. Cowardly Douche

so why was the entire old creepshow thread deleted? couldn't the set of pics from the one abusing it be deleted?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.