1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

My First E-Book Cover - Ideas

Discussion in 'Creative Backyard' started by Jammsbro, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Jammsbro

Jammsbro ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

Right, first off I don't expect anyone to participate but I would definitely like genuine feedback. I decided last month to self publish my first non-fiction work on amazon and I need a cover for the E-book. It's pretty straight forward. Amazon has a lot of rules and tips for making a cover but it basically all boils down to something that would catch people attention (for good or bad reasons) and would look as good small as large. So I have put together three covers so far but haven't decided on any. I would like anyone to either tell me which one they like best or if they are so inclined to make a cover for the book. Either way I would be very appreciative. I can't pay anyone but if the book actually made any cash I would sort something out.

The book is called The Birth And Death Of God by Darren William Kyle (an amalgamation of names I was called before I was born).

Here are a couple of covers I've come up with so far. The Third one I don't have permission for the B/G image.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2001pm, J3scribe and Lukin like this.
  2. Lukin

Lukin Mr Nici ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun Power Poster

interesting thread jamms, certainly something a bit different. i'd say the first one is the best. 2nd one is a bit too plain and not eye catching enough, and the third is maybe a bit too much. however, the image (or similar if you have copyright issues) from the third could work really well if it was reduced and simplified to a two-tone line drawing as a subdued background, and maybe some more interesting looking text. actually, the more i type the more ideas i keep getting. i'll have a mess with it when i get a chance to try and show you what i mean.

Jammsbro likes this.
  3. Jammsbro

Thanks Luk, Most people I talk to pick the second one but I have always liked the first one. It was picture I took on the way home from my fathers when I couldn't get a clear shot of the moon. In a huffy mood I swing the camera back and forth and took a picture of a streetlight with longer expesure to get it.

I would love it if you came up with something. But as I say, I wouldn't guarantee that I could use it. I would really like the most people to read this over the amount of sales so maybe provocative is as good as eye catching?

4. AFX

AFX The funky drummer.

I'm with Lukin here Jamms. I think the first is the best. The only thing I'd consider changing would be to centralise each line of the title. I don't know for sure if it'll look better but in my head it would. Whatever happens, I hope it proves to be successful for you.

Jammsbro likes this.
  5. Jammsbro

Do you mean put it in a central alignment?

6. YourPalJustin

YourPalJustin All posts by ChatGPT Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Ten Years of Phun Power Poster

The first looks best. The second reminds me of the logo of one of those tattoo parlor reality shows. The third conjures up Illuminati conspiracy nonsense and oddly makes me think of Dianetics (which used to and may still have an exploding volcano on the cover).

Also with respect to the first, it makes me think the book aims to expose something to the harsh light of realism.

Jammsbro likes this.
  7. AFX

AFX The funky drummer.

Yeah, so each word in the title is centered. The main image is off center and I just thought if the text was aligned centrally it would be a nice balance.

Jammsbro likes this.
  8. TerrapinPrime

TerrapinPrime Ph.D in Ass

the third one is the best one IMO. The middle one doesn't look like a book cover and the text and background don't work. The first one would probably catch my attention the most though.

Jammsbro likes this.
  9. xrayray

xrayray

Imo the last book cover with the pyramid gives the viewer a lot of questions, and its facinating, considering we're still in this dan brown hype id go for that.

Jammsbro likes this.
  10. Lukin

this is kind of what i meant when i said "reduced and simplified to a two-tone line drawing as a subdued background", not exactly what i had in mind yesterday, but that sort of evolved. not sure about the colour, and i think it's probably missing something else, not sure what, but i was aiming for a striking visual/composition.

[​IMG]

the eye graphic in the middle is stolen off a t-shirt, but if you wanted to use something like this, i could easily copy that and make a new version in about 10 minutes, that way you're clear of any copyright issues. although i don't imagine the people selling the shirt from the site i stole it from own it either ;)

Jammsbro likes this.
  11. Jammsbro

I have to say Luk, that is fairly fucking impressive. Very fucking impressive actually.

Lukin likes this.
  12. Lukin

any thoughts or ideas let me know, works quite well in green, but possibly too much connotation with american money given the image?

[​IMG]

Jammsbro likes this.
  13. Jammsbro

Not sure. The red is maybe a little too much like Dawkins God Delusion. But maybe that ain't a bad thing seeing as I am a nobody.

Most folk I have spoken to say that the title of the book is what would peak their interest, for good or bad. Can you make the header line a little larger without losing the overall feel?

Lukin likes this.
  14. Lukin

[​IMG]

haha that's the first time i've seen the cover to the god delusion, they are quite similar. oops.

Jammsbro likes this.
  15. Jammsbro

That is fantastic. Now that I see it in green I think you might have been right in the original red Luk. Yours is easily more eye catching than my three.

Lukin likes this.
  16. Lukin

you think the red is better? i'll do a few variations

17. Lukin

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

i think maybe the last, rusty coloured one could work the best. it's bold without being too bright. and it's got a bit of red in it so may evoke dawkins' book subconsciously (as you say, not a bad thing) without being too similar

Jammsbro likes this.
  18. Jammsbro

You are right. I think I have a cover bro!!

You mind if I use it? If I sell a shit load I'll pay you. If not, I'll send you an e-hug!

Lukin likes this.
  19. Lukin

well here's a full size version.

[​IMG]

if it needs anything doing to it when you come to submit it drop me a PM.

here's to hoping it makes you rich ;)

Jammsbro likes this.
  20. Jammsbro

I'm just hoping that more than three people read it :)

Ingus and Lukin like this.