1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

My First E-Book Cover - Ideas

Discussion in 'Creative Backyard' started by Jammsbro, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Lukin

Lukin Mr Nici ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun Power Poster

haha, if not, one or both of us has failed ;)

Ingus and Jammsbro like this.
  2. 2001pm

2001pm 2+2 is on my mind...

Great job on the original covers, Jamms, and and excellent variation, Lukin. When I looked at your first variation, I thought, "Oh, no, too small for a book title!" Then you changed it to something bigger again, and it works. It's such a great title -- something that would sell a book -- that it has to stand out. Great job all around to you guys.

Ingus, Lukin and Jammsbro like this.
  3. AFX

AFX The funky drummer.

Can I give an honest opinion? I think the cover Lukin made looks great and really professional but I personally don't like the image. For me, that pyramid conjures up thoughts of whacky conspiracy theories such as the Illuminati and, for that reason, would possibly put me off from checking out the actual contents and subject of the book.

I don't want to plant seeds of doubt in your mind but your book is the kind of thing I'd be interested in reading, so, as a hypothetical customer, I'm just telling you what my first impression is when looking at that cover. Perhaps I'm alone in thinking this but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

4. xrayray

xrayray

Great work lukin, i like the green but thats just my preference

5. Jammsbro

Jammsbro ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

No, all input is valuable. I chose the pyramid as it's a representation of a thing supposedly described as sitting on the throne of god. I would definitely like to avoid the conspiracy theory market as it automatically throw what you are saying into a grey area of disrepute before people have even read it. But I do like Luk's cover, it's more professional looking than the ones I did.

Ingus, Lukin and AFX like this.
  6. S-type

S-type Cogito, ergo sum Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member

Just to be contrary, Jamms, I prefer the dark blue one - because it actually emphasises your title and de-emphasises the eye and triangle/pyramid design. That design to me is in some vague way reminiscent of the Von Daniken works, which may not be a problem if that is an area that you touch on, but otherwise perhaps might give the wrong impression?

Good luck, though!

7. Jammsbro

I think it's giving off the wrong impression. It's not a conspiracy book at all. It's basically my mental journey over 20 odd years from ignorance, to belief to atheism and a dissemination of religion and the bible from a logical point of view. I don't make any outrageous claims or that in the book. I think Von Daniken would be the worst thing to be associated with.

Ingus and AFX like this.
  8. Jammsbro

I just opened all of them and flicked back and forth between them and you are bang on, the title is twice as clear on the blue cover.

Ingus likes this.
  9. S-type

S-type Cogito, ergo sum Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member

I wasn't sure whether in your book you spent any time debunking that sort of thing, in which circumstance an oblique pictorial reference to it would not be amiss, but otherwise not!
    Sorry to be negative rather than helpful!

PS I like the concentric rings - they're a bit like the the ripples in a pond when a pebble falls in - expanding - like consciousness?

Ingus and Lukin like this.
  10. AFX

AFX The funky drummer.

You mentioned what it was about in another thread and it sounds really interesting, and that's the reason I mentioned that the pyramid image evokes negative connotations for me. Maybe stick with the layout of Lukin's but perhaps try a few different images.

I don't want to appear like I'm barging in on Lukin's or your work but this is the kind of thing I was thinking, using a more ambiguous image.

[​IMG]

Ingus and Lukin like this.
  11. Jammsbro

It wasn't negative at all. I can take care of the writing myself but I know that without a cover that attracts people's attentions no-one will read it, so I definitely need help in a critical sense.

Not at all. That is excellent. My first two are sort of ambiguous as I was going for exactly the same thing. Could you darken the back image? The title is a little too similar contrast wise.

I'm going to feel bad if I get more than one excellent cover now :)

Ingus and AFX like this.
  12. AFX

AFX The funky drummer.

I couldn't darken the image too much without diminishing the quality but I made the god text a bit clearer. It's actually a public domain image of the sun.
    [​IMG]

13. 2001pm

2001pm 2+2 is on my mind...

I love watching this creative process -- the talent you guys have is outstanding. Maybe you can help me when I attempt to publish my e-book. ;)

A little reminder: Don't forget the importance of the words "Birth" and "Death" -- the book is about those things as they pertain to God, so keep 'em big!

EDIT: I was the Associate Creative Director at the last "real" company I worked for. One of my jobs was to write and design all the magazine ads. They spent hundreds of thousands on what I created :)shock:), so it had to be good. (Not that I was under any pressure.) That's why I like the way you guys are so spot on in your designs and revisions! :)

14. xrayray

xrayray

Wish i had some kind of cool vision, i kinda had this idea..

a man sitting in white siluette with a thought bubble on the side of him with the title and questions... its not very clear
    Scratch what i said about afx im acutally not sure which one i like the most

Heres my idea.. or a idea

[​IMG]

insteadd of looking up maybe he could look into one of his hands e.g..

maybe its inspiration