1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

One word posts screwing threads

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by gaphugs, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

hey, sorry for the vent and new thread.

I have just noticed over the last while the amount of single :wank: and 'great' or 'amazing' posts and the impact that they are having on the celeb thread in particular.

One example, a guy today scanned a magazine himself, uploaded and posted the quality pics. They are now half way down page two because of one member making a single post in every single thread.

i know it cant be legislated for, but it would be nice for people post boosting to think of others

2. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

actually this has been a topic amongst us mods from time to time.
    interesting to see that this is apparently some kind of an issue not only for us.
    hence there´ll never be a "rule" to limit posts per day or alike - i quoted you here, assuming you don´t mind.

gaphugs and DirtyCa$h like this.
  3. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

I forgot about that thread, cheers River.

I really don't want any members to think I am having a go at them btw. But some really hot 'nuts' scans as an exact example are now edging for page 3 of the celeb forums. I would hate those posters to be put off.

However, this is a 'problem' that has been made worse by the ' begging for thanks thread' my point in it was that clicking 'thanks' is better than typing it. Although typing 'amazing' may seem more gracious, it only serves to bump down other threads.

4. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

as i said, no idea how to change that, but just wanted to let you know that a few including me see your point.

DirtyCa$h likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Miley Rae Highrus ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

I can see the issue if someone is doing that in 20 or 30 threads in a row just to make a :wank: post or something like that, but what's the alternative? Banning people from replying in celeb threads unless they type out a complete sentence?

:2cent:

X-Spectre, gaphugs and DirtyCa$h like this.
  6. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

The alternative is us all having some consideration for the people that post uploaded content. Look I really dont want to single one person or another out, if someone has something to say on every single thread over two pages fair play - I dont believe that to be the case, and if I were to quote a recent example the majority of the posts were :wank: or a thumbs up.

It is not a rule issue, it is a consideration issue. And I accept that the arguement will be made that if a thread is good enough it will be bumped naturally, but that is not often the case IMO

7. DirtyCa$h

DirtyCa$h I'll make ya famous!

well, since i do it all the time im assuming im one of those people you're talking about..

first of all, if the thread was worthy to stay on page 1 it would..

second, nobody cares about NUTS scans, in my opinion they dont belong there anyway, since those chicks are hardly famous for doing anything other than being topless in magazines..

third, i like to thank as many posts as i can, and leaving any type of comment or smiley lets me know that i was already in that thread, and i can move on to the next..

forth, if you knew how many posts that slipped to page 2 or 3 with no comment that i bumped just so the OP wouldnt feel bad, its not fun having a post get no replies..

fifth, if you wanna talk about consideration, try giving some thanks out, 284 in over 4 years is truly sad..

8. 2001pm

2001pm 2+2 is on my mind...

If I give a one-word response, I mean it. Either I couldn't think of a longer phrase I wanted to type, or I just wanted to thank the poster verbally in a simple way, other than clicking the thanks button. The subject matter of the post doesn't matter to me -- Nuts or Maxim or an event or whatever. Simply put, if I take the time to type, I mean it in a good way toward the post and the poster.

9. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

Firstly, I went to great lengths to not single anyone out, and even if I did it was to start a discussion.

I used examples - the 'nuts' one was because of the effort as much as the content.

And I dont believe the 'If it is good enough, it will stay on pageon one' bit - the truth is that many threads are lost because of spamming.

On your point of 'tagging' the threads, that may benifit you, but not others.

Lastly, I am not in the slight bit interested in getting in to a tit for tat. I think I have tried my best to structure my comment without trying to rub people up the wrong way.

10. essential

essential Evil wakes in vengeance,be careful what you choose ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Movers & Shakers Power Poster

though subject i think, u can't force everyone to type whole sentences just to thank someone for the post, and if we don't make "1 word" comments all post would go the page 2 quiet fast. I don't think there really is a perfect solution for this, it just is as it is :)

11. TheOne

TheOne The President ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

same here if I write I mean it, usually;) and a one word post usually dont cut it so if I like I say thanks in one way or another usually by using the thanks button...

and usually I can't spell etiher!

X-Spectre, gaphugs and DirtyCa$h like this.
  12. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

I think the danger here is that we confuse a few different issues. The overwhelming majority of people, when replying, do a smiley or a thanks or nice rack - the that majority may do it in 3 or 4 threads at a stretch on a good day 10 times!!

I am talking about two full pages hit in the space of ten minutes. A big difference

13. Perfect4ths

Perfect4ths ...That's All She Wrote ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Polls Champion 2023

Nice topic Gap, a topic that in recent days has been discussed in the Mod Forum.

There is no absolute solution. There are those who care more about post count then anything else, and use the :wank: or 1 word posts to increase that. They don't really care about the thread subject, just getting a post in.

It would take a concerted effort by all to change the acceptable posting practices here, and without that, nothing will change.

As for the Nuts posts, I agree they do not belong in the Celeb section, but that is a discussion for another thread.

14. Redwing1

Redwing1 LOW LIFE ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

I for one try my best to at least say a few words on a post that i truely like.
    Sometimes i will on occasion do a "Awesome" , not to boost my post count but i truely believe the thread has been missed by others and this usually does spurr on users to comment on a good post that may have been missed.

X-Spectre and DirtyCa$h like this.
  15. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

The sig threads are being a bit spammed imo.
    It's nice to have people post because they like a sig etc.. but not for every sig posted. That's what the thanks button is for. It's also what the request thread is for. Someone requests a sig, someone makes it, people discuss it and say how good it is.

I think save the other threads as a sort of gallery so we can look at the new sigs without wading through a lot of non-sig posts.

16. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

Hey Redwing, you are in the majority - that is what I do to, today i commented on 3 threads one after other - it really is important that what I am saying is clear because otherwise the this thread would be pointless.

Redwing1 likes this.
  17. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

I agree 100%, I used the celeb forum as an example. The sigs are amazing but because of people's possibly well intention 'amazing' sometimes a page is limited to one sig and is tough to navigate.

IMO the only real sollution is for us (members) to self regulate and maybe in the extreme cases (one or two a week) a gentle pm from a mod perhaps. We are talking a hand full of people who I no doubt think they are being well meaning.

18. Jack Tripper

Jack Tripper I don't know. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

I think it has it's pro's and con's. Gap you spoke about you spoke about a scanned magazine thread that got pushed to the bottom, well that same thread will be pushed back up when somebody comments on it, comments help keep a thread alive. Yes I know it pushing down new material but it also helps filter out the good threads by keeping them alive.

19. arespilgrim

arespilgrim Blast from the Past ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I guess I'm as guilty as most, if not more so.

I'll try to tone it down.

20. Jammsbro

Jammsbro ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

I agree with sid here. In the creative forum i'd much rather see people posting their opinions of the work and how it was done, amybe asking about the techniques used and so on. I'm guilty of it myself if i see something really ace but it'd be nice to see less "WOW" and "DAMN" in those place and a little more conversation about creativity.

As for one post in twenty posts in a row, well i hate to say anyone can't post freely but it can be a little irksome from time to time. I try to post at least a few words or a short sentence in any thread in celebs i post in. and i only reply to thread where it's girls i really like, even if u just thank other threads.

But also some members might be away for a day or three and come back and want to catch up. Thats fine with me.

I think we should be able to post as we see fit but to be honest, you don't need to go around thanking every single post or leaving a smiley in every single post just to make the thread starter feel appreciated.

Remember kids, post count, it really isn't important ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.