1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

One word posts screwing threads

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by gaphugs, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

There is a tonne of examples http://forum.phun.org/showthread.php?t=463800 - all are popular with some, but there are 'more popular' bumped down to page four.

2. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

Brothergrimms...............

I post britney at 12am.

you post:wank: in 30 threads posted at 11.59 or before and my britney posts hits page 3 with out a view.

3. brothergrims

brothergrims gone

i got it now.
    and then your post, good or bad, gets no looks, is that it?

becouse i did the game, i would from time to time have to bump it to boosts its ratings right at first, it was amazing how well it worked, I could always tell when the thing was getting old, i would bump it twice and if i got no looks, it got the shelf.

how about OP gets to bumb once or twice, if you bump twice and your still not getting ratings, you have to let it go...
    thoughts?

4. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

As was pointed out in earlier posts, I think it can't be legislated for, but if we all take a bit more responsibility!

I am an occasional pic poster, and you keep checking back for comments, thanks and views - its nature! That is why we have a posts with over 100 thanks thread and not a post with over 100 :wanks: thread. lolz

5. brothergrims

brothergrims gone

true, if i have my game up i do keep an eye on how its doing, if it falls off the third page of new post search, it gets a boot back up or a rest (nothing is more embarrassing for me than to give it a punt and find it fall back to page four or five - sort of "yea we saw it now move on"). and right now i am also just an occasional, so i do get your point.

still do you think it would help if you had a chance to bump it proper once or twice?

If nothing else you would know it wasn't the fast drop that caused the issue but the content.

gaphugs likes this.
  6. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

There is no harm in bumping a day old thread! I've have, from time to time, posted a follow up comment for bumping purposes!!

But I dont know the proper breakdown, but I'd say 10% of people post 90% of the stuff, I cant see the likes of kieks bumping his posts...(I would)

brothergrims likes this.
  7. X-Spectre

X-Spectre Veni, Vidi, Veni

I think Grimms may have hit on the 1 solution that might work for this 'problem', I say allow any OP to bump their thread 2 times, their choice of when and (like Grimmsy said) the thread still doesn't get the attention you think it deserves then it probably won't no matter what.

gaphugs and brothergrims like this.
  8. Perfect4ths

Perfect4ths ...That's All She Wrote ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Polls Champion 2023

A rule that will never happen because it's to subjective and susceptible to exploitation and/or abuse

9. X-Spectre

How can 2 bumps be subject to abuse?

If they bump more than twice, lock the thread or delete it altogether or ban them, how can they possibly abuse it? As far as being subjective, how can it be if everyone can do it?

let me be clear, they should be allowed to bump ANY thread they start 2 times.

10. Perfect4ths

Perfect4ths ...That's All She Wrote ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Polls Champion 2023

Keeping track of the bumps is going to be a pain in the ass.

And over what time period?

and what do you consider a bump? The word "bump" or some comment?

gaphugs likes this.
  11. FaileyCyrus

FaileyCyrus Grande for Ariana

On any forum I've been, I don't like seeing a member replying to 20+ threads in a row with the same comment.

But, with the number of members on this forum, and the work that it requires for mods to make sure everything is clean, their job is already high enough. They already have to lock posts bumped by newbies, leechers, etc

I consider making 5 one word posts in 30 seconds an abuse, but making 50 one word posts in 5 mins might not be considered an abuse by someone else.

The same idea would apply to "bumps", not everyone has the same idea when it comes to "having more views on your posts", some would abuse more of that "rule" than others.

And I'm afraid rules are hard to apply when it all comes down to the poster's judgment, because it's so different from a poster to another.

:2cent:

gaphugs likes this.
  12. X-Spectre

Ok, here are my thoughts.

1. Any OP would be allowed to bump any thread they start up to twice.
    2. The bumps must be done within say, 3 days of the OP.
    3. The bump can consist of whatever the OP wants even just "bump"
    4. I think the 'regulars' would help the mods enforce the 2 bump rule, most of us already try to help weed out spam, reposts and etc... in the Forum Issues thread so why not just roll this into it.

There you go, my thoughts short and simple.

I should say that I'm not as convinced as Gap that there's a problem to begin with but then I'm not a big pic poster so it WOULDN'T irritate me that bad, it seems to me though that for the people who DO have a problem with it, that this is a decent compromise since there's no way to stop the one word or :wank: posts.

gaphugs likes this.
  13. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

I would though be curious at this stage to see if people do actually see or agree that it is a problem - the example I gave in an earlier post is reality - is it even an issue?

I just really think it is a shame that ten posts end up on page four with 200 views and no comments -that being said I am conscious of not wishing to repeat myself so have little else to add.

14. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

yes - and not to monitor.

for me it´s nothing bad to have some kind of back-and-forth conversation within a model/celeb/vid - thread.

anyways - actually i still think there´s nothing to be changed other than "establishing" some kind of forum-etiquette... and that´s certainly not a mod/admin - task...

gaphugs likes this.
  15. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

I would find a couple of 'bumps' (although I'd be slightly more subtle in bumpin mine!) less of a problem than what goes on with a few (a tiny few) members.

X-Spectre likes this.
  16. brothergrims

brothergrims gone

simple as pie my mod
    if the thread is feared missed,
    then the OP will bump, in anyway possible with any comment they want.

you as a mod would see OP bumping by noting the date or time or the fact that OP is the only one posting.

its easy enough for the phun army that keeps this place in line by posting in the Forum issues thread that some clod has bumped his own thread, so it shouldn't be all that difficult to see that the same clod has bumped his thread three times, and simply report it then.

but still none of this addresses a single word sentence that plague's the phundom

X-Spectre likes this.
  17. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

that might cause some 50 additional reports... not a most favorite idea of mine, tbh - better post content or thoughtful replies than looking for excessive bumping.

feel free to address this issue (and it´s not that i don´t see this as an issue) directly to those who do it - most of them don´t even know there´s a about phun - section here and have no idea that they are annoying people...
    some friendly "be creative with your replys" or more direct "post whore" on occasion might work wonders...

18. Perfect4ths

And what happens if the OP get's into short conversation on the first day, does that eat up his 2 bumps? Like I said to subjective.

IMO, this rule will never come to fruition, so we are wasting our breathe discussing the possibility.

not a bad idea, but I'm not looking for more work for myself or any other Mod.

Self regulation and polite peer pressure are the answers

19. X-Spectre

I can see that it would possibly put some extra strain on you mods but the problem with your proposed solution of 'friendly' reminders to offenders has sort of already been brought up and I think the general consensus is that those who are most guilty of causing the problem would more likely than not ignore the advice and go blithely about their way.

20. brothergrims

brothergrims gone

im tending to agree with both you and Perfect on this
    my idea has some issues to be sure, i would hate to see more work for the mods. you guys have a better idea how things flow around here than i

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.