1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Phun Tech Issues

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by Green Bastard, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Green Bastard

Green Bastard feels good man

I mentioned this before at least once, but I'm going to post it here again since it's easily fixable and other people are having trouble with it:

What I suspect is happening here is that the user trying to log in at forum.phun.com instead of forum.phun.org. Whether that's case here or not, it's still an issue when somebody does try to log in to the forum at the .com domain. Because both domains seem to be pointed at the same server, using the same root directory, it loads the same initially. But, vBulletin is configured to operate on .org and can't set the session cookie properly after you log in at .com.

Not only is it probably frustrating for users that can't log in, but having the same content at two different domains like that is usually bad for SEO. It's pretty common to buy up several TLDs (.com, .net, .org, etc), but it's best to pick one to use and then redirect all the others to it. You want to use a 301 (permanent) redirect to best inform search engines of your intentions. You can usually do that at the registrar level with some kind of "url forwarding" feature. Just make sure to use the permanent/301 option.

Or, you can do it on the server with a redirect rule. The exact one would depend on a few things like apache vs nginx, subdomains, and other server-side details. Phun's host should be able to take care of it quickly enough, but it would be something along these lines:

Code:
    Options +FollowSymlinks
    RewriteEngine on
    rewritecond %{http_host} ^forum.phun.com [nc]
    rewriterule ^(.*)$ http://forum.phun.org/$1 [r=301,nc]
    Then all requests to forum.phun.com will be automatically redirected to forum.phun.org and the user will never even have the chance to use the wrong one.

2. cayne

cayne Guest

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll forward this to ISP.
    What solution do you think is better? To do it on server level, or on domain level? And if I change it on domain level, all links are going to continue to work like before, right? So www.phun.org/test.html is going to give the same result as www.phun.com/test.html?

Going to send you PM later too.

Thanks a ton for all your input and help with our issues!!

3. Cold As Ice

Cold As Ice Master of Solid Water Ten Years of Phun

There is something wrong with search engine.

I did search Cara Delevigne like [​IMG]

What i got was [​IMG]

Did search with Cara like [​IMG]

And got [​IMG]

Searching with Delevigne like [​IMG]

I got [​IMG]

4. Green Bastard

I guess it depends on what you want and what options your registrar offers as far as url forwarding. If you aren't using Phun.com in any way different than Phun.org and your registrar offers some kind url of forwarding feature that returns a 301 status, that's probably easiest.

But, if you have some urls that you want accessible only on Phun.com, then it's probably easiest to add the rule on your server and redirect only the forum subdomain and the urls you want on .org.

Yeah, they should. If you add the redirects yourself on the server (apache htaccess or nginx directives) you'll have the flexibility to do it however you want. You could match only forum.phun.com urls or include/exclude whatever you want.

5. Green Bastard

Looks like you're missing an "n" in the first (full name) search query.

6. Cold As Ice

In this case you are right but i also had other searches that came up without a match and turned out to be reposts

7. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

happens occasionally to many of us, i think. there are quite a few likely unintentiional reposts, most of the in the celeb-section. asked / suggested Cayne to switch to vbulletin-default-search (especially because this sphinx-search isn`t free, mind you), we`ll see...

for now you better use the "advanced search" -> "single content type" (http://forum.phun.org/search.php?search_type=1). seems to work better.

2 people like this.
  8. Cold As Ice

I used advanced search. I used full names and nothing showed up, spider used only last name and it shows up for him. IMO when i use full name it should show

9. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

never wanted to give you the image that you are doing sth. wrong.
    IMHO there are a lot of things here that need fixture, the search is one of them (and probably related to the other ones - those "server"/hoster-related isssues are likely the most important ones). it certainly could help when non-staff-members (seems like we are always on the verge to annoy him) add to "friendly" push Casyne a bit in the right direction.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cold As Ice

That's why i posted it here that there is something wrong with search engine. I have a tool to test server reaction time, when Phun is slow i do a test and i did send Cayne a screenshot of what i got

11. Cold As Ice

Just had some strange errors. Also the Celebrity Photos gives me a database error.

1 person likes this.
  12. Jammsbro

Jammsbro ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

Me too. Server too busy and database errors in celeb photos.

13. Big Bamboo!

Big Bamboo! The Cockney King... Staff Member ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member Phun HERO

14. TheRiver

well. the gateway- and dbase-errors aside - which still are a shame for our hoster imho, i bet Green Bastard could help to solve that - ...

apparently once more our database-server (-> dbase-errors!) has crashed or at least stalled. so everything has to recover from a necessary restart of that server.
    press reset on your pc (well, better not) and your system has to reboot/restart/recover again - same as phun right now. that´s inevitable.

what is not inevitable is the lack of proper hosting by our hoster... *sigh*

ps.: there´s always a chance that one of these dbase-server-stalls (or crashes) could have some significant, hard to recover/fix effects, though. even more a reason to re-consider the relation between phun and it´s hoster.

1 person likes this.
  15. Green Bastard

I'll certainly try to help where I can. :) But, at this point, I don't know anything more than you do.

16. cayne

cayne Guest

Btw. the reply from ISP:

3 people like this.
  17. robo99

robo99 passing thru ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just wondering is there a way to make everything "larger" onscreen. I use google and all my other pages are fine but phun has shrunk down to about 70%. For instance, my sig is 70% of it's actual size on my phun screen.

Any ideas?

THX

18. Green Bastard

It sounds like you accidentally changed your browser zoom settings which are usually saved per site.

To reset your browser zoom to 0/100%, it's usually Ctrl+0 (zero). That could vary depending on your browser, so if it doesn't work look for "zoom" in your browser menu.

As for how it got like that, typically you can use Ctrl + plus (+) or Ctrl + minus (-) to zoom in or out. Or, you can also use Ctrl + scrollwheel to do the same. The scrollwheel in particular is very easy to change on accident, it gets me all the time.

1 person likes this.
  19. robo99

robo99 passing thru ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

back to normal, many thanks

20. Green Bastard

Has anything changed on your end? Different browser, new extension or something? What browser are you using and are you using any addons/extensions?

I see what's happening in your case (the http/https protocol has been stripped), I just can't reproduce it.

1 person likes this.