1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Pop-ups are on their way...

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by cayne, Sep 15, 2009.

1. cayne

cayne Guest

...in a few minutes I'm going to add a pop-up code to the forum. I tried to avoid this kind of advertisement on this forum, but the present state of the economy doesn't leave me much of a chance. Besides that, you get these kind of ads on all image hoster we allow on this forum so the question is why should they make money and we not, but you still have to click the ads away. So now you got to click once more (per day) but actually support the forum :)

If the economy gets better (or I'll win a million in the lottery) I'm going to remove the ads again. Let's see what happens first.

Thanks for your understanding.

2. elturko78

elturko78 Treu Anarchist ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No problem Cayne as long phun is alive.
    Cheers :cheers:

emmynem, GBTG and Magge like this.
  3. Kieks

Kieks Getting away with it, all messed up. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Original Phun Crew

Word!

4. cayne

cayne Guest

The code isn't working anyway, so we got some more pop-up free time :D

5. holecard

holecard Guest

With the quality of forum provided for us here, popup should be no problem. I support this idea 100 percent!!!!

6. wtfazzhole

wtfazzhole Munchin on Pussy ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew

why don't we ditch 1 server since we are running at less than 25% capacity. They sold us the extra server because they lied and said we had maxed out all our servers' capacity when in actuality it was just 1 server that was causing all the issues. I say let 1 server go and see how the forum handles the load and if need be add it back in as a last resort.

7. cayne

cayne Guest

I will def. talk with the hosting guys regarding the current server performance and if it's possible to cut a few dollars off the hosting bill, but right now 1 server isn't going to cut it :/

Plus the ads have already been sold, so they will go up for at least one month anyway.

8. wtfazzhole

then why don't you do both? Cut 1 server and see how the forum handles, that alone is a $400 a month savings plus ask them about discounting the hosting service. There are a few other large and reliable hosting sites out there and if need be give me the specs and I will see about getting some new pricing for you.

9. Cy

Cy X-No-Archive ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

It's almost a given that you'll need more than 1 advertisement in the end. All I ask is that you stay away from the cookie based trackers like imagehaven has.

Aside from that, Even a few sidebar or bottom bar ads arent going to kill me. Maybe, you can do a progressive ad setup,

Not logged in? Ton of ads
    Logged in low posts? Some ads.
    Logged in posting regularly? just 1 or 2
    LongTime User mass poster? No ads
    Inuk? put him on the S&J payroll :)

Just base the viewer profile on the user group, should be fairly workable.
    Keep actual popups/unders on the guest/not logged account since theyre just leaches anyway. Use side/bottom bar ads for the rest.
    A single layout with different user groups having different script permissions keeps your heavy, good users from being bothered.

Never drop a spare server if you can help it.

10. Magge

Magge Yoda no more, just a friendly alpaca lover ! ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Movers & Shakers Power Poster The Alpaca Whisperer Phun Award Holder

No problem ! ;)

If You can make the Phun work with them ( i will not see them !) a lot better ... i will NOT complaine ! ;):)

11. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

when things work it´s going to be interesting (imagevenue-pop-up + imagebam pop-up + phun pop-up... lots of popping ;))...

but who we are to complain?

there´s some free space available next to the phun-logo - could be a nice fit for a banner-ad.
    [​IMG]

ever thought about asking members to provide a decent room in their sigs for a banner-ad?
    [​IMG]

12. lostboys

lostboys I was invited

Thanks for the warning.

At least we, the few, the proud, the actual Phunners, won't complain.

13. Capster

Capster ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

ahh pop-ups do what ya have to do.

suggestion for income. charge a fee for new image host who want to be tested on phun :)
    id say 100.00 per month for 3 months

if they survive 3 months they should be worthy

if not you gain a little income for the clean up

If they cant afford 100.00 then, they surely cant afford Phun's Traffic

this would also deter start up host from applying

BTW ill be the first in line ;)

14. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

Once a session? Cool.

I still think you should have a subscriber option, where for, say, $10 for 3months (price varies on length of sub) you get a host of extras. IE. a bigger sig space, bigger avatar, a hidden subscriber section for chat, lock your own thread, change your own title, no ad's...etc...

It will generate some extra income and I think a lot of regulars would be willing to pay for the extra benefits seeing as this is the main/only forum the visit.

I have paid $10 for a 6month subscription to the http://psu.com/forums and am more than likely going to renew it because of the perks I get. You multiply that by however many people, and that's a lot of revenue.

This place is 50x bigger than the ps3 forums and they have at least 200 subscribes.

It's is an optional purchase, so the people who don't want to subscribe will still get the same forum, but with ad's dotted around the place.

I'm tellin ya, that is the way to go.

GBTG and brothergrims like this.
  15. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

considering recent (admitted - it´s been quite a while) performance-lacks less servers are probably not in order.
    page-load is far beyond average.

16. wtfazzhole

you mean below. ;)

17. TheRiver

yes.

where are the pop-ups, btw? is it my blocker or aren´t there any yet?

18. Kieks

Kieks Getting away with it, all messed up. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Original Phun Crew

I aint seeing them.

19. devlaure

devlaure Father of Funk

I got one just now. Even went through my blocker. It was nice enough to minimize itself however.

20. cayne

cayne Guest

the code wasn't working. But they are up now. Expect some threads/post about it.

@everybody please let me know aboout your experience with the pop-ups. How often you get them etc. thanks.