1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Rule addition suggestion - NS

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by Jammsbro, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Jammsbro

Jammsbro ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

After all the kerfuffle about thread hijacks and members not being happy about spam it is clear that we have two schools of members.

So i'd like to suggest two tags for thread titles that would help change this.

NP and LOT. NP (no spam) would mean that you can't spam or roam off topic in the thread. Obviously this would be used for more serious discussions and other thread like the 10,000 girls encyclopedia.
    And LOT meaning light off topic posts are allowed but no more than.

I visit a GTA forum on occasion and this system works perfectly. I think this would help keep the peace around here and it would keep all the guys who don't like spamming threads happy too :D

Crusader, Perfect4ths, Magge and 3 others like this.
  2. JayHoo

JayHoo Etpäs ymmärrä ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

so is this a spam topic or not? ;)

irish-sid and Jammsbro like this.
  3. spiderswims

spiderswims I love everyone ♔♔♔♔♔ 15 Year Member Power Poster Poll Wizard! Phun Award Holder Gayest Member

If the creator of a thread says no spam then there shouldn't be any. Like Billy did with the She's Mine thread.

Billy Sastard likes this.
  4. JayHoo

JayHoo Etpäs ymmärrä ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

didnt the old one get pages of spam?

5. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

Jamms from the get go that is all I suggested

6. spiderswims

spiderswims I love everyone ♔♔♔♔♔ 15 Year Member Power Poster Poll Wizard! Phun Award Holder Gayest Member

It would get spammed then Billy would come on and mention to stop and then it would....for awhile at least.

7. Jammsbro

If it goes through then you should be a happier chappy am i right?

8. Jammsbro

The 10,000 girls thread has no spam because people keep on top of it. Thats all it takes./

9. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

Yeah... Some is just mindless, I've come across as a dick and believe I had phun at heart on the issue.

Anyways I said I'd shut up!so...

10. spiderswims

I don't know if this is where I should post this but here is my feeling.

There already is a spam thread and a picture spam thread so why not just post it there. I don't mind the occasional spam or chats that happen in another thread (like the fucker thread,awesome things,sig thread) as long as its still on topic. I don't think just posting a picture of a can of spam has a point.

It doesn't bother me as much as others and I just stay out of most of the threads. So everyone can keep doing it but that's just my take on it.

irish-sid likes this.
  11. haydaddict

haydaddict Smiley King ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

HEY...
    I added that...;)

spiderswims likes this.
  12. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

that's cool and all. but if it's in the opening post and it is regulated incase people go off the track then, like the 10k/she's mine, that's fine. but we'll end up with a thread like "Nadya Suleman - Would you fuck her?- NO SPAM (im interested to know)"
    i can see how the system would work, but the people who don't like spam will put this on every thread title they make.
    i dunno, we know if a thread shouldn't be messed with, but we also know threads that can be fun (within reason)

13. DemonDave

DemonDave Been a Phunner since '08! Ten Years of Phun

Jammsbro,

thats a nice simple solution..... of course there will always be a smartass who spams it because you asked him not to.

14. brothergrims

brothergrims gone

please allow me to throw my shit in this fan
    first,

Jammsbro
    HAZ CHILLZ PILLZ 4 SALEZ

well done jamms.

second, ive read almost every post in two threads that pre-seeded this one, some had fun, some tempers lost, some good issues brought up. this will solve it,

Im not trying to shoot down balloons here, but this little issue must be addressed before it goes to press.
    see - billy can push his shit back on track becouse he can take away your hottie and give you Janeane Garofalo.

a thread noted to be spam free has good implications, right up until the thread starts to wonder, then we have the author turning into mini mods but they have no real authority or ability to keep shit on track , then its just a brawl of text. (throw the 'Z' throw the oowwww, should have thrown the 'Z' sooner)

oh trust me it can happen around here.
    It will work but needs to be considered all the way through so that the people that use the NP get what they want and dont flame, becouse flaming is bad.

i hope ive made my point good enough that the issue is prevalent, if this is not set up right form the start it will make the last two threads on this subject look like... well something i cant think of right now.

good luck now.

15. Cowardly Douche

Cowardly Douche Hotbabeologist, Ph.D

an alternative would be to seperate the general forum into 2 subforums, one where spam is tolerated in every thread and one where it is not.

that way you don't have to remember to specify it in every thread and it might make it easier for the mods to enforce. and those fed up with spam in general may not abandon the general forum altogether.

not sure how you'd grandfather it in tho :confused:

16. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

Threads come and go. If Di Canio wished to start his thread on beer, for instance, if it was not spammed it would stay on the 1st page for as long as people commented, if they didn't it would drop off and on we go.

The same could be said of the "would you fuck her thread" if it is lame it will disapear quickly. However some people see fit to mod in their way ie: this thread is lame, the OP shouldn't have bothered and now I'm going to spam it to death.

That is it, plain and simple. A little respect is all that is required.

A lot of good members with good ideas do not post in GF anymore. I miss them and started a thread asking if it is a probem, let us discuss.

Yet a few of the guys want to reserve the right to post "meat spin" where ever and whenever they like. I tried to open a discussion on it and was spammed out of the forum. If "Please don't spam" is put in the title it should be respected yet Sid in a post above believes that shouldn't be the case?

Yeah it is Phun and a break from reality, but I also like to discuss issues in a grown up manner - I have been told that I dont have that right. I actually give a fuck, that is the sad thing yet the prevailing message is don't give a fuck, it is a bit of fun and relax. impossible.

When a moderator like The River, can start a thread saying he is no longer visiting that forum and expressed his sadness that things are how they are, and then that thread is spammed out of it, you have to ask the question of what is going on here? The effort that man puts in, I find it a crying shame.

LUvNiT likes this.
  17. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

i said it shouldn't be put in the title, but put it in the OP so people know where they stand. but if it's just put in for the sake of it because they are a "spam hater" then it will become worse than spam itself.

18. brothergrims

brothergrims gone

I would like it in the title, if you in for an intellectual conversation you know thats the place to go, if you want to bang random letters into your keyboard then pick a heading that is void of this.
    its a heads up before you enter the thread.

19. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

You says people would just put it in the title for the sake of it? Like people spam every thread for the sake of it?

Do you know how rare it would be? Dude the front page of general, with a few exceptions, is just people spamming crazy. Dont tell me you can't see that? And you know to Sid that it is only 5 or 6 people!

Do you agree with me in any shape or form?

I don't mind, I'm just staying out - perhaps phun has just developed. Anyways it is just the internets

20. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

look, i understand what sort of spamming you're on about. random pics that have nothing to do with the topic.
    take the topless coffee shop thread. do you consider that spamming in there? if you do then you have lost the plot.
    as i've said, i will do what i see fit, if i see an opportunity to have a laugh, then i'll do it, if it's serious time then i'll be serious too. most of my stuff is topical (with a couple of exceptions). you must realise that?