1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Sig of the Week SOTW ???

Discussion in 'Creative Backyard' started by Jammsbro, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Jammsbro

Jammsbro ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

Okay, so many of you might know that alot of big time graphics boards and so have SOTW threads.

I would like to suggest to the creative crew that we have one of these. Not for bragging rights but for the sake of friendly competition, to spur us all on so to speak.

I know that we are all at different levels and that some of the creative crew are shit hot at this stuff and others are still starting but i have seen some stuff from guys that have just picked up sig art that has been amazing so i can say that not just the most proficient p/shop artists always outdo the less knowledgeable guys.

I'd like to suggest that (for fun) we pick on signature on a sunday that is the sig of the week. And that it is showcased for that week.

The only things that need ironed out are

1. Choosing the sig. I don't think a vote every week would work as we have so many sigs around. I would suggest that on a rotational basis, all the creative crew get to pick their sig of the week (people would put their name forward for the rota).

2. How it would be handled. By that i mean a new thread every week or a singular thread with the showcased sig being placed in the first post (all previous sigs kept in their as an archive also) and updated from there.

So thats my idea. If you like it or not then say so. It might be fun, it might be hassle. At the very least we could give it a try?

karabastrahabas, Inuk and Austxsoul like this.
  2. spiderswims

spiderswims I love everyone ♔♔♔♔♔ 15 Year Member Power Poster Poll Wizard! Phun Award Holder Gayest Member

I like the idea but have no idea how it would work.

karabastrahabas and Jammsbro like this.
  3. .biomoid.

.biomoid.

I like this idea :)

And I would suggest the following: every week people can pm 1 sig they made to a sotw "coordinator". I'd like the voting to be anonymous so the sig shouldn't have a nick on it.

The coordinator posts all the sigs at the end of the week and all members can vote on which one they like best.

Oh and a different theme every week would be cool too :)

karabastrahabas, JayHoo and Jammsbro like this.
  4. Jammsbro

Themed weeks would be a good idea bio.

Would the co-ordinator be permanent or rotationary? I think if it was Like the oscars it could work. Peeps would submit what they thought was an excellent sig and the co-ordinator would choose from that each week. I mean we have more than enough high quality work in here :D

karabastrahabas likes this.
  5. Billy Sastard

Billy Sastard One thousand brown M&Ms ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

If there is no nick on it the sometimes genius of text would be missing.

6. Jammsbro

It'd be up to the creator i think. Maybe even a rule that text must be included. Even if it is Signature.

7. JayHoo

JayHoo Etpäs ymmärrä ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

no nick would be good. and the sigs should be made from few given images.

8. JayHoo

i.e

this weeks theme is #E%¤YRDH. Use these images

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. The Cunt Factory

The Cunt Factory phundamental

A weekly updated thread would seem the most organized way to go Jamms.
    You start a SOTW thread (get it stickied) and the winner gets showcased in this first post. (Maybe like this)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Under the SOTW rules should be added.

Make a second post under it and store the old winners as thumbs with the week number of the year next to it as an archive (01/2009 to 52/2009).

From there on, every member that wants to vote for a sig makes his post in the same thread; one post only per member that's edited/updated every week. I think they should post the sig along with the week number to avoid confusion on old/new vote.

You'll have to run through each post every sunday and count them to determine which is the winner.

This way we can click every sunday on the first page to see the SOTW in the first post.

I'd rather have no obligatory theme since it's too restrictive for sigmakers.
    Text is not obligarory but as Billy said it can be an essential part of the sig and in some cases, text can be interwoven into the sig in a destructive way so you just can't simply turn it on/off.

Maybe one should vote for at least 2 and max 3 sigs to avoid a tie between let's say 15 different sigs.
    A voting deadline would help also. ;)

10. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

this is the same as my sig battle idea. what with themed weeks ect. choosing one sig and what not.
    i'm all for this jamms, i would love to see some competition on this forum. even if it is anonumous.
    but i can't see that you'll get much support from tools and his gang.
    but yeah, get the ball rolling imo! :thumbs:

11. JayHoo

if you add tits to any kind of sig you will win.

even if bio makes one of his super mega cool sigs

this would win
    [​IMG]

12. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

i still love this sig

[​IMG]

so, when will you be starting this j? it seems there are some followers. i'm also looking forward to seeing this evolve, which it will, and it will bring a lot of life to the CB.

13. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

Who judges???????

14. haydaddict

haydaddict Smiley King ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

[​IMG] SIG OF THE MONTH!!!!!!! [​IMG]

This is a contest im not participating...but i'll always give my vote!

karabastrahabas and irish-sid like this.
  15. Jammsbro

So far as i can see it would have a team of judges. Each week a single judge would be picked and he/she would choose the sotw from the previous week and it would be showcased..

Judges should be sig makers. Even if you have only contributed one sig you can be a judge. After that it would be alphabetical for who chooses the sigs.
    I'd hope we could all be seensible about it and choose me every time :p

So place your names in this thread if you want to be a judge.

I WANT TO BE A JUDGE!!!!

16. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

i'd say we all judge.
    my idea was, a new thread each week, with the applicants pre determined for that week, and a poll with their names, so the voting is anonumous. the sig with the most votes is the sig of the week. the sigs will be all showcased in the second post so it's easier to see all the sigs for that week. and the winning sig will be put in the first post.

karabastrahabas and haydaddict like this.
  17. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

I as a non sig maker, will watch on with interest, should be good fun. That said there are also serious sig makers that are against any form of competition - that also should be good fun!

If you need a guest judge I can be contacted by pm!

18. Jammsbro

Yeah but remember the amount of sigs that were voted for in the phun awards. Thre were dozens. And chances are we would rarely get a sig with with multiple votes.

I think this shouldn't be taken too seriously at all, in fact it should be as light hearted as possible and used as a showcase for the creative forum rather than a battleground for the sig makers.

19. irish-sid

irish-sid BANNED

it should have some depth though jamms otherwise it'd just be a 4th sig thread, which we don't need. i know a lot of people will want to do this and have some element of competition to it, even if light hearted. some people won't join in to start with, because of the comp element, but it will be good fun and hopefully after a few weeks of it going well, they'll join in.
    only one sig per entrant should be enterd, and if you don't think enough people will vote then maybe a panel of three judges would be better. they can discuss it via pm until there is one sig they all agree on being the sig of the week.

20. gaphugs

gaphugs BANNED

I agree jamms - but It isn't how things work around here! It will just be seen as the creation of another sig thread in another guise! I think it is a great idea, but as I am not a maker I''ll exit stage left.