1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

We want avatars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'About phun.org' started by wtfazzhole, Jan 20, 2005.

1. wtfazzhole

wtfazzhole Munchin on Pussy ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew

When are we gonna get to have AV's? i want to use this as my AV now!

[​IMG]

2. BBLB

BBLB

heh .. I want you to use it as your avitar too ! ... nice one ...

3. Mike Panic

Mike Panic

for what? avatars are fucking retarded... as are big sig images... even on high speed it takes a min to load all the images in a post and you want to slow it down even more w/ pointless avatars?

4. Natman56

Natman56 Phun Time!

agreed

5. wtfazzhole

Issue is old. Cayne has already adressed it so no more comments needed. :)

6. Sum Yung Gi

Sum Yung Gi

Avatars would have to be hosted by Phun, wouldn't they? As in, if each poster has an avatar of, say, 20k average, and each thread page has 10 different avatars on average, then 5 views of that page would cost Cayne 1mb of Phun's bandwidth. Considering each day there's dozens of new threads that each get hundreds or 1000+ views, adding avatars could wind up taking up a few gigabytes of bandwidth each day.

Personally, I really like the forum, I appreciate Cayne for providing it for free, and I know that bandwidth isn't free. Avatars are ok, but I don't think it's right asking Cayne to pay for bandwidth for something that doesn't really add a lot to the forum. If you've got an image you just have to use, why not just use it in your signiture the way you're already doing?

7. wtfazzhole

Avatars has to be hosted on a webhost also. They don't take up any bandwidth.

8. Mike Panic

Mike Panic

common misconception from someone who has never bought web space / bandwidth or dealt w/ a high traffic site

9. wtfazzhole

He meant it as bandwidth from phun. I said avatars are hosted on another web hosting site and transported here. Perhaps you should read the statement i was replying to first before you make your comment.

Besides i hope you look at the part where i said cayne has alread adressed this situation. Its his forum and if he says we should have avatars in 2 months then we will. If you don't want one then don't put one up.