1. Rapidgator has been added to our approved mandatory hosts while Uploaded as been removed. These hosts are not to be used in combination with each other unless a second approved mandatory is used. See our file host rules for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Where do you guys go online to print your photos?

Discussion in 'Creative Backyard' started by bukowski69, Oct 16, 2009.

1. bukowski69

bukowski69

I really like to start printing some of my photos. Any help with finding the best place online would be really helpful to me and probably others.

2. kaos42000

kaos42000 Living after midnite ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

I hear costco is best.........assuming you are in the US...........

3. bukowski69

bukowski69

wouldn't online be cheaper? Also costco problem doesn't do big prints.

4. SCao

SCao

for 1 hour photo at costco, regular 4x6 is like 13 cent. they do enlargement. not sure how big you want though. i have done 8x12 and am assuming they can go bigger.

5. bukowski69

bukowski69

well my camera is 10 megapixels and I like taking landscape (panorama) shots. So I am looking poster size.

6. winkypop

winkypop

Costco offers 20x30 posters

7. The Cunt Factory

The Cunt Factory phundamental

If you're looking for 30x20 I sure hope image quality isn't your main concern 'cause with a 10MP camera (Nikon D60 or the newer D3000) that's really stretching it.

The resolution will be about 130dpi which is really inferior quality knowing that high quality printing starts at 300 dpi and up.

If you got PS you can do the math yourself:
    Your 10MP camera will take images at a screen resolution (ppi) of 3888 x 2592;
    at 300 dpi this will print as 12.96 x 8.64 = high quality
    at 240 dpi this will print as about 12 x 16 = acceptable quality
    anything below that will be a quite poor resolution showing in sharpness, contrast and even quantization.

My advice: print it at 12 x 16 max if you want it large. Best to process the image in PS: get rid of as many CA and artifacts as you can, sharpen it up to a point you're uncomfortable with (on screen looks quite different than on print) and adjust contrast with an S-curve.
    Personally: I'd never go below 300 dpi (12.96 x 8.64) 'cause I prefer quality over size.

whats2u, Cy, irish-sid and 1 other person like this.
  8. Cy

Cy X-No-Archive ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

Print shops are, imo, still the best. Take them a tiff file on a dvd and they'll print just about anything that isnt current. It'll cost you, but that's how I get my posters done.
    Many of the better print shops have "scaling" printers for doing commercial prints of almost anything in acceptable viewability, but you're gonna pay. Still, if you want it, it's better imo, than some yet another Ansel Adams print you bought at frames r us at the mall for the same price as the print shop would've charged you to print your own work.

9. SilentKnight

SilentKnight Photographer

Some useful and helpful info there, thanks CF.

I rarely print any of my stuff - but when I do I'll try and remember the above.

The Cunt Factory likes this.
  10. bukowski69

bukowski69